We are the people of the Illinois South Congregations of the United Church of Christ, and we believe that God has called and uniquely gifted us to embody the Gospel of Jesus Christ for such a time as this.
We believe in Jesus Christ, risen Savior, and sole head of the church. We seek to do the work of Christ on earth through our shared missions of healing, mercy, and justice. We rely on the Holy Spirit to guide us, comfort us, challenge us, empower us, and to bind us together in a loving, covenantal relationship as the Illinois South Conference. As a family of faith communities:
- We strive to enrich the faith formation and spiritual lives of all our congregations and members.
- We challenge one another to engage, nurture, and learn from our youth and young adults.
- We gather together to worship, celebrate and strengthen our congregations.
- We encourage one another to practice new forms of evangelism for new times.
- We unite with our brothers and sisters across the wider church, and ecumenically, in the pursuit of justice and peace.
- We promote a diverse, loving, welcoming Christian presence in our communities.
- We work together to identify, train, authorize and call faith-filled leaders, both lay and clergy.
- We encourage generous giving of our financial resources, as well as the other gifts God has afforded us, and we encourage participation in all our mission outreach.
- We learn from one another and share our experiences and resources.
- We care for and share the resources God has entrusted to us.
- We support and assist our congregations in good times and challenging times.
We are the people of the Illinois South Congregations of the United Church of Christ, and we believe that God is still speaking.