The past year and a half have been a struggle in several ways for many of us. Covid and the Delta Variant, social isolation, and fear and anxiety over how to deal with the pandemic have hit us all, although perhaps in different ways. No matter what statistics you look at, the prevalence of mental health issues has increased, suicidal ideation has increased, there is still an unmet need for mental health treatment, people need mental health services, and there aren’t enough mental health providers. These issues know no boundaries when it comes to lay or clergy.
This year’s Annual Meeting offering will be going to the ISC Clergy Assistance Fund where funds will be used to aid and assist clergy. In 2021, this fund has been used heavily as clergy have needed counseling and spiritual direction services for themselves and their families. The use of these funds is granted and approved by the Conference Minister. The assistance provided to the clergy of ISC not only assists the clergy, but also provides a healthier church as our leaders get the care and support they need to care for their members.
- Prior to Annual Meeting, ask your Church Council to seek contributions from your congregation in support of the ISC Clergy Assistance Fund.
- Write a check payable to Illinois South Conference.
- In the memo line acknowledge Annual Meeting Offering or ISC Clergy Assistance Fund
- Send the check to Illinois South Conference, 1312 Broadway, Highland, IL 62249.
Click here for a flyer.
UCC Covenant Programs
The United Church of Christ has eight special "covenant" programs for all UCC churches to participate in. Now they are on on page, “Just World Covenants” web page. Check out the page or into each of them listed here.
Annual Meeting Workshops for All
October 13, Wednesday afternoon –workshops for clergy.
- 1:00 pm - Beyond Chocolates and Bath Salts: Self Care for Pastors
Presented by Donna Pupillo, RN and Executive Director of Deaconess Nurse Ministry
- 2:30 pm - The Rainbow Connection: The Pastor's Role in Helping Congregations Become Inclusive
Presented by Andy Lang, Executive Director of ONA Coalition
October 14, Thursday evening – workshops geared for lay but open to delegates, non-delegates, and clergy
- 6:00 pm - Lifting the Shame: How Churches Can Break the Silence about Mental Health
Presented by Dr. Sarah Lund, Director of Mental Health and Disabilities UCC
- 7:00 pm - Reimagining Our Collective Missional Call
Presented by Rev. Kristina Lizardy-Hajbi, Director of the Office of Professional Formation and Term Assistant Professor of Leadership and Formation at Iliff School of Theology