ISC Synod Delegates served well at the 31st UCC General Synod. They participated from 6:30 am - 10 pm many of the days. Please invite them to come to your church to talk about the experience and the resolutions voted upon at General Synod.
Kristian Avise-Rouse, St. Paul UCC Columbia
Breanne Beisiegel, St. Peter's UCC, Freeburg
Rev. Katie Jo Bielke, St. John's Evangelical UCC, Collinsville
Rev. Tim Darmour-Paul, Grantfork UCC, Grantfork
Rev. Christy Eckert, Immanuel UCC, Hamel
Karen Gaines, St. John UCC, Granite City
Brad Grotefendt, Grantfork UCC, Grantfork
Carl Kasten, St. Paul UCC, Carlinville
Carolyn Palmer, St. Paul UCC, Staunton
Brett Palmer, St. Paul UCC, Staunton
Pastor Norma Patterson, Good Shepherd of Faith, E St. Louis
Pastor John Pawloski, Congregational Church, Godfrey
Rev. Patrick Poole, St. John UCC, Maeystown
David Shanks, Bethel UCC, Cahokia
Verna Steinkamp, St. Peter UCC, Centralia
Rev. Shana Johnson, Designated Conference Minister, ISC
Youth & Chaperone:
Maggie Ratcliff, Youth Delegate, St. Paul UCC, Carllinville
Amy Ratcliff, Chaperone, St. Paul UCC, Carllinville
Lynnette Schuepbach, ISC Communications Coordinator
Craig Bielke, St. John's Evangelical UCC, Collinsville
Donna Kasten, St. Paul UCC, Carlinville
Elizabeth Grotefendt, Grantfork UCC, Grantfork
Grotefendt kids, Grantfork UCC, Grantfork
Cora Eckert, Immanuel UCC, Hamel
Rev. Dr. Marvin Morgan, St. John's Evangelical UCC, Collinsville
Rev. Merlyn Lawrence, St. Paul UCC, Waterloo
Rev. Dr. Martha Thierheimer, O'Fallon UCC, O'Fallon
Tarrah Vaupel, O'Fallon UCC, O'Fallon
Rev. Kris Avise-Rouse, St. Paul UCC, Columbia
Nicole Avise-Rouse, St. Paul UCC, Columbia
Casey Avise-Rouse, St. Paul UCC, Columbia
Jill (Lana Rizzo) Baker, ISC Vice Moderator and member of Marion Zion UCC, had a huge job at the 31st General Synod in Baltimore, Maryland. She served as Stage Manager during the plenary and worship services. Her job was to show the participants where they were to enter, exit and stand during their participation and to make sure they went on as the schedule dictated. You see her here with the headset on and the huge stage in the background.
If any of you have been in charge of a church play or program, multiply that by thousands to understand the stress Jill must have encountered. Yet, she did it will a smile on her face and love in her voice. Thanks for being such an efficient stage manager so that we could all enjoy the day as it rolled right along!!
October 21, 2017
Gateway Convention Center
Jim Bear Jacobs was born in 1977 in St. Paul, MN. He is a member of the Stockbridge-Munsee Mohican Nation, an American Indian tribe located in central Wisconsin. He has degrees in Pastoral Studies and Christian Theology and has served various churches as youth minister, adult Christian educator, and director of Men’s Ministries. He is a cultural facilitator in the Twin Cities and works to raise the public’s awareness of American Indian causes and injustices. He is a convener of “Healing Minnesota Stories," a committee dedicated to creating events of dialogue and education particularly within faith communities. He presently lives in Coon Rapids with his wife Susan and three (soon to be four) young children.
General Synod Results of Resolutions
Click here to read mores about the resolutions.
- Passed RESOLUTION OF WITNESS: A MORE JUST ECONOMY: $15 Minimum Wage, Living Wages and Job Creation
- Passed RESOLUTION: Toward Disability Justice: A Call to the Church and Churches
- Passed RESOLUTION (as amended): On Corporal Punishment of Children in Homes and Institutions
- Passed RESOLUTION OF WITNESS: in Support of Adult Survivors of Child Abuse and Neglect
- Passed RESOLUTION: On Recognizing and Studying Gun Violence as a Public Health Emergency
- Passed RESOLUTION: Supporting Authorized Ministries of Underrepresented Clergy: A Call for Greater Representation & Economic Justice
- Passed RESOLUTION OF WITNESS: The Earth is the Lord's--Not Ours to Wreck. Imperatives for a New Moral Era
- Passed RESOLUTION: Affirming the Coalition of Immokalee Workers' Boycott of @Wendys
- Did NOT pass RESOLUTION OF WITNESS: The Disparity of Rights of Adoptees to Access Birth Records for Adults (Needed a 2/3 majority vote)
- Passed MOTION: Adoption of the Proposed Changes to the Constitution and Bylaws concerning governance of the national setting.
- Passed MOTION (as amended): On Establishing Procedures for Cultural Diversity Training for Authorized Ministers
- Passed RESOLUTION: Bring Down the Wall in the Caribbean: Ending the U.S. Embargo on Cuba
- Did NOT pass MOTION: Resolution of Witness in Support of Legislation Authorizing Aid in Dying (needed a supermajority)
- Elected Rev. Penny Lowes as Assistant Moderator of the 32nd General Synod
- Elected Mr. Norman Williams as Moderator of the 32nd General Synod
- Elected the slate of candidates for Nominating Committee submitted by the Business Committee
- Elected the slate of candidates for the Board of Directors submitted by the Nominating Committee.
Illinois South Conference of the UCC has scheduled Boundary Training which can be used to satisfy the requirement for Illinois South Conference pastors as well. The schedule is:
May 23, 2017
9:00 am - 2:00 pm
Lebanon St. Paul UCC, 123 Dee St.
May 24, 2017 (for retired clergy)
9:00 am - 12:00 pm
Highland ISC Office, 1312 Broadway
Here is ISC's own Rev. Sue Artt, now Conference Minister for the Rocky Mountain Conference and former pastor of St. Paul UCC in Nashville, in front of the General Synod Delegate floor. It should help you get a feel for being there. Next to Sue is the Assistant Moderator, Norman Williams, a Chicago banker.