2017 Warm Up Workshops
Prior to the annual meeting, there will be two workshops offered to lay and clergy on Friday, October 20, 2017, from 9:30 am - 4 pm at the St. John Evangelical UCC in Collinsville, Illinois.
Cost is $35/person. Lunch is included.
(After October 3, cost is $40)
Warm Up Workshop Registration pdf
1 pm – 4 pm
Storytelling in Worship
presented by Rev. Jim Bear Jacobs
Jim Bear Jacobs was born in 1977 in St. Paul, MN. He is a member of the Stockbridge-Munsee Mohican Nation, an American Indian tribe located in central Wisconsin. See how you can use storytelling in worship.
9:30 am – 4 pm
The Secret Lives of Pastors
presented by Rev. Shana Johnson, Designated Conference Minister
This workshop is for all those who love the church and are curious about the lives of pastors – what a minister does and why, as well as the relationships between a pastor and the congregation.
9:30 am – 4 pm
History and Governance of UCC
presented by Rev. Dr. Martha Brunell
The history of the UCC can help churches understand the differences of the original denominations that seem to create times of conflict in the present day church.
9:30 am – 4 pm
Understanding Personalities Through Enneagrams
presented by Dr. Jill Baker
The enneagram is an insightful tool that defines personalities in nine distinct types, examining those types in times of growth and stress. It can illuminate your spiritual development and add to your relationships.
October 21, 2017
Gateway Convention Center
8:30 am - 4:30 pm
Complete Delegate Packet pdf
Jim Bear Jacobs is a cultural facilitator in the Twin Cities and works to raise the public’s awareness of American Indian causes and injustices. He is a convener of “Healing Minnesota Stories," a committee dedicated to creating events of dialogue and education particularly within faith communities. He presently lives in Coon Rapids with his wife Susan and three (soon to be four) young children.
The Illinois South Conference Confirmation Retreats are tools for enhancing youth ministry in local congregations and a time for personal spiritual renewal. They are designed as a supplement to the confirmation program of local churches and offer a unique opportunity for confirmation classes from across the Conference to bond within and between their groups. Music, worship, theme presentations, play times, discussion groups, and “hang time” are all part of the retreat.
THEME: Three Great Loves: Love of Neighbor, Love of Children, Love of Creation
DATES: Friday, September 22 - Saturday, September 23, 2017
ISC Hurrican Harvey Clean Up Bucket Assembly Day
Find out more about the recovery in Houston.
- Clean Up Bucket day will be Thursday, September 21, at St. John UCC in Collinsville 307 W. Clay St., Collinsville IL 62234
- Drop off the specific items for the buckets by 9:00 am Click here for a list of materials needed.
- Assembly of buckets begins at 10:00 am.
- If your church is making completed buckets, bring them between 10:00 am and 2:00 pm.
- Before Sept. 18th - Let Priscilla know if, what, and how many buckets, dollar amount, or items you/your church will provide. This is important so the transporter will know what size truck to bring. We will be communicating that information with them on Sept. 18. Contact her at 618-318-0083 or click here to email.
- Volunteers will be needed to help with assembly and loading the truck on September 21.
- Arrangements have been made with Stock Transport to have a truck there for us to load and they will transport them to the Corpus Christi/Houston area - exact location to be determined yet. There are three UCC churches in Texas that are accepting the clean-up buckets and hygiene kits to be distributed. Priscilla Self will contact them to see where the most need is at that time.
Winter Weekend 2018
January 13-15, 2018
The theme for this year is "Seeing Clearly: No conflict between faith and science."